Below are some resources to assist you in ensuring your home sale or lease is compliant with federal and state laws regarding Fair Housing / Equal Housing Opportunity.
The general rule is to avoid ads that indicate a preference, limitation or discrimination because of race, color, religion, sex (including gender and orientation), disability, familial status, or national origin.
- Phrases to Avoid: https://kb.crmls.org/knowledgebase/fair-housing-keywords-and-phrases/
Some examples of things to avoid:
- “no children,” which indicates discrimination on the basis of familial status,
- "child-friendly neighborhood" likewise is not acceptable.
- “no wheelchairs,” which indicates disability discrimination.
- "Catholic church nearby" advertising a specific denomination is unacceptable as it is considered steering.
Federal Fair Housing Overview
State Fair Housing Laws
- Advertising Guidelines: https://nationalfairhousing.org/responsibleadvertising/
- Fair Housing Posters: https://www.hud.gov/program_offices/fair_housing_equal_opp/marketing
If you believe ANY homecoin advertisement or homecoin listed property is violating Federal Fair Housing law or applicable state laws regarding fair housing, please contact us immediately by submitting a support ticket.
Please sign in to leave a comment.